Thanks to the internet, there are several opportunities available to make money online as a freelance writer. The possibilities are literally endless. Freelance writers have the opportunity to offer their services to a whole range of customers all across the world. And oftentimes, all that is needed to begin to make money online as a freelance writer is a talent for writing, access to a computer and access to the internet. If you love to write then it gets even more rewarding since you have the possibility of earning for doing something that you love to do. I absolutely love writing and I love to make money online as a freelance writer even more. I have been there and am doing that so I am about to share with you how YOU can make money online as a freelance writer whether you have experience working online or not.
There are several options and ways to make money online as a freelance writer. Some popular options include:
- Signing up on popular freelancer sites such as Elance, Odesk, Freelancer, Fiverr and many others.
- Establishing your own website and offering your writing services from your own website or blog
- Establishing a blog and monetizing it
This article will focus specifically on how to earn money as a freelance writer through freelance writing sites. I personally have had great success on some of these platforms and I want to share some of my strategies with you. My personal preferences are Freelancer and Fiverr. I will tell you why in next week’s posts. So what is the first step if you want to earn money online as a freelance writer?
- Set up your online freelancer accounts – There are several freelancer sites available for you to choose from. I recommend signing up on as many as possible to increase your chances of success. So the first thing to do is to spend some time visiting these sites and setting up your profile. This step is very important and plays a large role in determining your success if you want to earn money online as a freelance writer. Your profile is the equivalent of your resume and it should be prepared carefully. Be sure to include a professional profile picture, and a portfolio with samples of your best work. Ensure that your profile summary is keyword optimized. This means that you want to include words that will allow you to be easily found by potential customers. If for example you plan on writing blog posts for customers, your profile summary should include keywords such as “write SEO optimized blog posts” or “write web content”. Try to make your profile summary stand out by letting potential customers know the benefits of doing business with you versus doing business with another freelancer. You can do this effectively using portfolio samples that show off your expertise and talent as a writer. Also, if you have received awards for writing or have had your work published elsewhere, be certain to advertise and highlight it on your profile. Be sure to include previous writing experience as well. Ensure also that you can easily get paid for your services by setting up a Paypal account and applying for a Payoneer debit card. This card allows you to set up a US bank account and to receive payments to the card.
2. Advertise your services – After you have established your profile on your chosen platforms, you then need to establish a marketing strategy for your services. Bear in mind that the competition on these freelancer sites is very stiff and you need to find ways of getting potential customers to know about you outside of the freelancer platform. If you hope to make money online as a freelance writer, you must be prepared to get the word out about your services. Potential customers should be able to find out about your services through different means. A good way of advertising your services is through social media. While you can use your personal social media profiles to advertise your services, I recommend setting up separate professional social media accounts to advertise your freelance writing service. So you can set up a Facebook fan page for your freelance writing service, a Google Plus business profile, including your skills and services on your LinkedIn profile and so on. Another excellent idea is to establish a blog surrounding the freelance writing services that you offer. This is a great way to let potential customers aware of your service offerings. These are great ways of advertising your services for free and getting traffic coming to you. With your Facebook fan page however, you need to regularly send out interesting updates and information to keep your fans interested and aware of you.
3. Bid for jobs – If you want to earn money online as a freelance writer from one of these freelancer platforms, you need to spend some time bidding on jobs. Before you start bidding however, decide how much you want to earn as a freelance writer and bid accordingly. If you don’t want to earn the minimum wage, avoid bidding on minimum wage jobs. When you just begin bidding however, you may want to start bidding on the low end to improve your chances of being awarded. But once you have done a few jobs and have received good reviews, you can adjust your rate upwards. When you begin to bid bear in mind also that the bidding is competitive and it can be time consuming. Some freelance writers create bid scripts that they use to quickly bid on freelance job postings. While I am not totally against this, you must take time to carefully read the bid requirements and to tweak your script accordingly. Customers can spot scripted bids from a mile away and tend to avoid such freelancers. So spend some time reading the requirements carefully before submitting your bid. Ensure that you address all the customer’s requirement in your bid and be sure to let them know why they should select you versus another freelancer. Do not get discouraged if you fail to be awarded jobs quickly. Keep on trying. If after a week, you have had no offers or queries, you should revisit your bidding style to see how you can make it better. Visit the profiles of those who have been awarded bids to gain insight into why they may be more successful than you.
4. Offer High Quality Work – This goes without saying but I will include it to drive the point home. If you want to earn money online as a freelance writer, your writing must be top notch. Avoid making mistakes such as having poor grammar or making spelling mistakes. As a writer, your writing must be professional and you must be careful not to practice plagiarism. Ensure that your content is always original and always well-written. Try to avoid the use of too much jargon and always keep your audience in mind. Remember that you are not writing for yourself. You are writing for your customers so write in a way that is appealing to them. Most of these freelancer sites allow customers to review and rate the services of the freelancer. If you really want to earn money online as a freelance writer, you should do everything possible to get as many 5 star or 4 star reviews as possible. The better reviews you have, the higher your chances of being awarded other jobs on these sites. In addition, this is an excellent way of getting repeat business. Satisfied customers will personally seek you out and award you jobs without you having to bid if you build a good reputation for yourself as a freelance writer. This is what you should be aiming for as it will save you time bidding on jobs every day.
Being an online freelance writer can be fun and financially rewarding. If you really want to earn money online as a freelance writer, follow these steps and you will be well on your way. You may also sign up below for my free newsletter to receive more tips and tricks about how to make money online as a freelance writer. Also, be sure to follow me on Facebook or Twitter.
Check out these great freelance writer resources: